A to Z Challenge 2015 - Day 3 - Charlotte's Web (1973)


C Is For Charlotte's Web


Preamble: My entire life I have been a voracious reader (and nitpicky movie critic as well as it turns out but more on that later). But I went through a phase of not wanting to read anything but comic books and instruction manuals or old-timey textbooks. My mother, the brilliant woman that she was decided to take away my movie privileges. The only movies I could watch were ones based on books and I of course had to read the book first and after watching the movie give an oral presentation on the differences. I remember being very thankful that most of Disney's beloved classics were based on fairy tales at the particular time.

But of course she didn't allow me to start there, oh no. She gave me 12 books, two of which were by E.B. White: Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web. Also in that pile was The Sheep Pig (aka Babe). I'd recently had the chance to raise a few pot bellied piglets and in the process got a little obsessed so those were the two books I picked out immediately.

I was actually going to review Babe for Day 2 of this challenge but felt back to back reviews of movies about pigs might be a little bit of overkill, so I did Bambi instead and begrudgingly went with Charlotte's Web for today.

At the time I absolutely loved this movie and can actually pretty much still quote it word for word to this day. I actually found that out as I prepped for this review and went to watch it. I couldn't believe it. It's like when Thriller by Michael Jackson comes on, you don't remember ever really learning the song (or the dance for that matter) but there you are just singing and dancing along.

This movie is vivid and very hard to forget and I mean that in the best way. It's one those movies I can't wait to watch with my kids whenever I have them. It will also be a book I will be sure to buy them the minute they get to that reading level.
===================================================================================
Year: 1973

Rated: G

Summary - E.B. White's beloved children's tale is brought to life in this animated film, which finds the young farm pig Wilbur attempting to avoid a dire fate. Of all the barnyard creatures, Wilbur's staunchest ally is Charlotte, a thoughtful spider who devises an intriguing plan to keep the gentle little swine out of the slaughterhouse. Although Charlotte's efforts, which involve words written in her delicate web, seem far-fetched, they may just work.

Directed by: Charles A. Nichols & Iwao Takamoto

Story by: Earl Hamner Jr.

Starring:
  • Debbie Reynolds as Charlotte A. Cavatica
  • Henry Gibson as Wilbur
  • Paul Lynde as Templeton
  • Rex Allen as the Narrator
  • Herb Vigran as Lurvy
  • Don Messick as Jeffrey
  • Martha Scott as Mrs. Arable
  • Bob Holt as Homer Zuckerman
  • Pamelyn Ferdin as Fern Arable
  • John Stephenson as John Arable
  • William B. White as Henry Fussy
  • Agnes Moorehead as the Goose
  • Danny Bonaduce as Avery Arable
  • Dave Madden as the Ram and others
  • Joan Gerber as Edith Zuckerman and Mrs. Fussy

Top Picks from the Soundtrack
  • "Zuckerman's Famous Pig"(Listen Here)
  • "Mother Earth and Father Time" (Listen Here)

The Review
I have very fond memories of this movie. For some odd reason I don't find Charlotte's death at the end as sad as I find the death of Bambi's mother in Bambi. Ask 10 people and at least 7 of them will probably tell you that Charlotte's death scene is the best scene in the entire movie. This is another one of those movies about the bonds of friendship but it depicts in a decidedly much more gritty and in your face kind of fashion. I do remember groaning a little when I was younger because we spend a little too much time with Fern who was just so girly and silly fickle in my young eyes. But now as a more mature literary critic I see what a wonderful framing device she was meant to be. Seeing farm life through such innocent, naive and incensed eyes was a great introduction into White's little universe which mirrored his own thoughts about animals being bred for food as it turns out.

Friendship and love are the obvious central themes in this tale. Without Fern’s love for Wilbur he would have been killed as a runt and without Charlotte’s love he would be served up on the Christmas dinner table. I never really understand he people that think this story has a pessimistic view point because Wilbur is ultimately saved not once bu twice by love and if that isn't a fundamentally optimistic message I don't know what is. While this may not be the typical fairytale romance where a boy and a girl meet and fall in love, the love here is just as powerful if you ask me.

But despite that, in a lot of ways Charlotte's Web is an even more brutal look at the habits of man than even perhaps Bambi which we discussed yesterday. Like Bambi this story is also told in third person with an omniscient point of view. This narrative style is fitting for a children’s tale, as it takes into account each character’s thoughts and motivations. But what I like most about this story is the underlying motif of the natural world and how it fights to maintain order and balance.

This story is also about individualism. While most viewers of the movie focus on the lasting and deep rooted friendships in the story, I also took note of how each character follows his or her own path. Although some of the characters in the novel only play small parts, we always get a sense of their particular personality. We are given information only that allows us to see each character as an individual and not as a stereotype and in modern day writing that's impressive to me.

Viewing as a somewhat pretentious 20-something adult it would be easy to babble on about what a modernist film this movie actually is and revel and relish thought about how the story deals with the issues of the isolation of the individual. But I will spare you that because at the core it's just a story about growing up and learning the big life lessons. At times you do feel isolated, alone and misunderstood with bouts of feeling like a special little snowflake thrown in for good measure.
However I will say that I respect the significance that Charlotte is alone when she dies at the Fair and although this was a very moving moment, it was also an honest one that doesn’t cover up the truth that life is most often solitary.

While the animation is a little pedestrian and the musical soundtrack is in the styling of a barber shop quartet (something I absolutely loathe), I have to say that all the intricate themes and motifs still hold up. It can be viewed many times but it still manages to give you a fresh emotional punch to the gut after each and every viewing. I really like that it stops and makes you think, or at least when I was young that's what it did for me, about where your food comes from. I think the teachable moments from all the ethical questions that stem from that particular discussion is reason alone to sit down and watch this with your children ASAP. Especially in this day and age of when vegan, gluten free, organic and free range options are much more readily available and easily accessible.

===================================================================================
*If you are looking for something a little more updated there is a 2006 live action adaptation that is wonderful as well. The voice is Charlotte is provided by none other than Julia Roberts and it also has a fantastic original motion picture soundtrack to go along with. I swear I tear up every time I hear Ordinary Miracle by Sarah McLachlan which is a song from that movie.

Grade: A-

Aces for (Voice) Acting
  • Joan Gerber

MVP
  • Fern Arable
Favorite Character
  • Templeton

Best Character Interactions
  • Charlotte and Wilbur (of course!)

Best Scene
  • Charlotte's death scene
Notable Quotable
  • Templeton: What kind of monkey shine is this? Can't a rat catch a wink of sleep without being rudely popped out of bed?

Most Memorable Moments
  • Fern nurturing Wilbur as a piglet

Fun Facts
  • E.B.White researched every detail that went into his books. For Charlotte's Web the research was close to home—at White's own farm in Maine.
  • E.B. White turned down Disney when they offered to make a film based on Charlotte's Web.
  • E. B. White's wife hated the music in the film, she would have preferred Mozart.
  • The same men responsible for all the music in the classic Mary Poppins is also responsible for the iconic soundtrack of this film as well, the Sherman Brothers.
===================================================================================
Did I whet your appetite to either watch Charlotte's Web for the first time or maybe just the first time in a long time? Which do you like better the book or the movie? Who is your favorite character? What is the first thing you recall about this movie when you think of it? When was the last time you saw this movie? Do you think the updated live action film is better?

Be sure to come back tomorrow when I discuss Dick Tracy.

If you enjoyed this review please be sure to comment, +1/like, share and maybe even follow this blog.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment