New Music Monday - Sausage by Lil Mama


"They Said I Was Crazy For Liking This Song?!!!"


I'm definitely not what you would call a Lil Mama Stan or anything but I genuinely like her as a person and her music.



If you watched America's Best Dance Crew and didn't think she was the best judge, kiss my butt, OK. I honestly have never understood the hate she gets and I wanted to straight up beat Charlemagne down after that Breakfast Club interview incident. I legit felt like maybe she needed my professional friend services after that Jay-Z and Alicia Keys fiasco and every so often would wonder aloud what happened to her with friends whenever we talked about female rappers.

I'm a dancer and I like to dance and her music is music you can dance to case closed. I was trolling Twitter this past Friday and happened to notice that 'Lil Mama' was trending. I thought it was either beacuase she had pulled a Raven-Symone and said something stupid or it was a classic Twitter celebrity death hoax. My curiosity got the better of me and it turned out she had released a new video for a song called 'Sausage'. I thought it an odd choice for a song title, so I Googled it and it turns out it based on some YouTube "movement".

I watched the video and it felt like a throwback to my youth of the early 90's when it was cool for female rappers not to be overly sexual, raunchy and vulgar. I have much love for Mc Lyte, Yo-Yo and Lady Rage even though you'll more likely hear me playing Foxy or Lil' Kim at one of my summer block parties.

The video to me was fun, fresh, creative and yes bizarre in a good way. But I think the people hating on it so hard are just way too use to the pop/mainstream rap that comes on the radio. I would encourage everyone who loves real hip-hop to support this song and Lil Mama or all we'll ever get is 'bitches and bling' and 'in da club' music to represent the genre.

I don't know, check out the video for yourself if you haven't already and let me know what you think in the comments.


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment