A to Z Challenge - Day 16 - Party Monster


P Is For Party Monster


Preamble: I have always been obsessed with New York City. I'm practically a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the legendary party scenes that have thrived there from the Harlem Renaissance to the 90's rave scene it always fascinated me how much New Yorkers loved an extravagant party. I always knew I was destine to live there and work in the entertainment industry in one capacity or another. While my safety schools were all west coasts institutions, my first choices were and had always been NYU and Columbia.

This movie came out during the start of my senior year of high school. I already knew for sure that I would be attending Columbia. I had my apartment choices narrowed down and it just had to be a pre-war building with a doorman. My senior year I was an unrelenting douche bag as I steeped myself in an "empire state" of mind. I listened to only Nas, Jay-Z, Biggie and 50 cent. I only rocked Timberland boots, fitted Yankee caps and all my clothes were DKNY, Calvin Klein and Roc-a-Wear. I only watched TV shows and movies that were about NYC and/or filmed in NYC and this movie actually came into heavy rotation.

I was actually pretty familiar with the Michael Alig story and hearing that Macaulay Culkin would be playing him made it a must see on opening night. This movie is definitely not for children but if you like Culkin, I think this is definitely one his best roles to date.

ps: This is yet another movie based on a book, Disco Bloodbath by James St. James. #sorrynotsorry
===================================================================================
Year: 2003

Rated: R

Summary - In this film based on a true story, Michael Alig arrives on a Greyhound bus in New York City desperate to leave his boring Midwestern past behind. After meeting downtown club kid James St. James and influential nightclub owner Peter Gatien, a fame-hungry Alig decides to throw the most controversial and over-the-top parties in the city. In just a few years Alig's drug addiction and erratic behavior threaten to destroy the empire he's created.

Director: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato

Written by: Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato

Starring:
  • Macaulay Culkin as Michael Alig
  • Brendan O'Malley as young Michael
  • Seth Green as James Clark/James St. James
  • Dillon Woolley as young James
  • Justin Hagan as Robert "Freez" Riggs
  • Diana Scarwid as Elke
  • Dylan McDermott as Peter Gatien
  • Wilson Cruz as Andre "Angel" Melendez
  • Wilmer Valderrama as Superstar DJ Keoki
  • Chloë Sevigny as Gitsie
  • Marilyn Manson as Christina Superstar
  • Mia Kirshner as Natasha
  • Daniel Franzese as The Rat/Clara The Carefree Chicken/Icy The Polar Bear/Dallas MC
  • Natasha Lyonne as Brooke
  • John Stamos as Talk Show Host
  • Amanda Lepore (uncredited) as herself
  • Richie Rich (uncredited) as himself

The Review
This is a story of a time world that it no more. It's about parties and fantasy outfits and the shock value of indeterminate gender. Also, it's about a drug culture that catered to these party people, and how it destroyed Alig's life. Culkin does an outstanding acting job in the role, bringing a touch of humanity to the character as well as a great deal of ego and evil.

One of the scary things about this film is how real it feels. The small subculture of party kids that search for thrills, their makeup and clothing screaming for attention. Their brains are riddled with drugs and their purpose in life is only to draw attention to themselves. It's fame without substance or meaning and its all mindless. But, with the exception of the Michael character, no one is really harm anyone but themselves.

This is an intense movie. It will sweep into the story if you let it. I recommend trying to find the Michael Alig interview that came with DVD release it's a fascinating watch to top you off after you watch the film.


===================================================================================
Grade: B+

Aces for Acting
  • Macaulay Culkin

MVP
  • Seth Green

Favorite Character
  • Christina Superstar

Best Character Interactions
  • Michael and James

Best Scene

James: [singing] Skriglada laskrog ladoodleda laskrig laskrog ladoodle skriglada skriddladoodle skrogla.

Michael Alig: I knew you'd come.

James: Banana? Peach?

Gitsie: Oh my God! You're alive!

Michael Alig: [laughing] It was so nice being dead. Oh my God. I just had a great idea. The emergency room. We'll all get dressed up like nurses and doctors and give out prescriptions for free drugs and Keoki will DJ and you can be a serial killer nurse with an enema!

James: Michael, I can't.

Gitsie: Can I be a mental patient?

Michael Alig: Of course you can. James, do you have a bump of K?

James: I'm really trying to get my act together and write, Michael.

Michael Alig: A bump of K isn't gonna kill me now, is it?

[laughing]

Michael Alig: Come on, let's get out of here!

James: Michael, you can't just leave. You're attached to things. Michael!

[Michael leave his ER room]

Michael Alig: Come on, James. The show must go on.

Notable Quotable

Michael Alig: Look James, this is going to be more than a club. It will be like a home, for everyone who ever felt like a freak, for everyone who was ever beat on or spat on in high school, for everyone who felt different. It will be like the factory and i'll be the next Andy Warhol.

James: Ok. Earth to you : Andy Warhol is still alive and well.

Most Memorable Moment
Michael Alig: [singing] Greetings, citizens. We are living in the age where the pursuit of all values other than money, success, fame and glamor, has either been discredited or destroyed. Money, success, fame, glamor.

===================================================================================
Did I whet your appetite to watch Party Monster for the first time or maybe just the first time in a long time?

Be sure to come back Monday because I'm discussing Queen of the Damned.

If you enjoyed this review please be sure to comment, +1/like, share and maybe even follow this blog.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment